Showing 106 results

Authority record

Silverdale Elementary

  • 0250
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

Part of MIssion School District #75, Silverdale Elementary School was officially opened in 1892 on the corner of Cooper and Silverdale roads. The school was rebuilt twice before closing in 1959, which is the same year the present building was constructed. Its five teachers aim to improve the literacy and numeracy to students from Kindergarten to Grade six, and aid them in acquiring the skills needed to become socially responsible citizens. The Grade six students at Silverdale Elementary are responsible for the recycling at the school. Silverdale Elementary is central to the community; it utilizes the community fields, is located near Silverdale Hall, and is currently educating the third generation of students of some families.

Slack (family)

  • Family

William Alphonse Slack (1856-1902) and his wife, Mary Anne (1865-1931) were pioneers of Hatzic in the District of Mission. Originally from Hagersville, Ontario, they arrived in December of 1898 with four of their five children: Delbert (1888-1917), Gladys (1889-?), Clifford (1890-1941), Geraldine (1892-1981), and Grace (1895-1967). Their eldest daughter Irene (1886-1963) remained in Ontario with her grandmother, Elizabeth (nee Walton) Slack, to complete her schooling.

The family rented and farmed property on the banks of the Hatzic slough. In July 1901, their seventh child, Lloyd, was born and in 1902, Alphonso died suddenly from pneumonia. Left a widow with seven children to raise, Mrs. Slack sent for Irene from Ontario and set forth to provide for her family. In 1903, Mary Anne purchased an acre of land in Hatzic and built the Slack family home. In 1908, she went into partnership with a Mr. A.B. Catherwood and began operating the Hatzic General Store and Post Office. She held the position of post mistress until shortly before her death in 1931. Mary Anne was able to supplement the income for her growing family by providing lodging on the upper floors of the store for men and in her family home for women. She also sold farm and dairy products including: fruit, cheese, and butter. Mary Anne's eldest son, Del, was killed in World War I on March 13, 1917. Her remaining sons, Cliff and Lloyd, married and settled in Hatzic. Cliff managed the store with his mother. Following her death, he carried on as postmaster until just before he died in 1941. Lloyd, nicknamed "Duke", became the proprietor of the Hatzic Home Service which he operated until his retirement in 1957. He and his wife, Christine (nee Davidson) had five children. With the exception of Gladys who moved away following her marriage to Don McGillvray of Nanaimo, Mary Anne's daughters remained in the area. Geraldine settled in Dewdney with her husband Gibson Morrison and raised their three children. Grace resided on Hatzic Island where she and her husband, Howard Hall, operated a fruit farm. Irene got engaged to a Mr. Parker, a CPR employee, who was fatally injured by a horse. She subsequently married James ("Jay") Michie (1873-1946) in 1913. Mr. Michie settled in Hatzic in 1906, where he operated one of the earliest sawmills in the area with a Mr. C. Manual. It was eventually sold and in 1910, Mr. Michie became the Dominion Express Agent at Hatzic. In 1912, he purchased property on Hatzic Island and began to cultivate fruit trees. Following Mr. Michie's appointment as the "Provincial Liquor Vender" in 1920, the Michie's moved to Mission City where there three daughters, Helen (1913- ), Edna ("Eddie") (1916-1940) and Mary Ellen ("Mary") (1920-1990) lived to adulthood. Two of their daughters, Helen and Edna, were May Queens. Mr. Michie was a member of the Canadian Legion Branch 57 (Mission City), the BPO Elks Lodge No. 30, Mission City and District Board of Trade, the Pioneers' Association, the Caledonian Society (a charter member) and the Mission and District Agricultural Association. Irene was a member of the Hatzic Women's Institute and, after 1920, the Mission City Women's Institute.

When plans were initiated to construct the first community hall in Hatzic, Irene travelled the district by horseback to collect donations of money and labour for the project. She was also an active member of the Anglican Church and, in the early 1900s, received a camera in recognition of her outstanding service. She became an avid photographer and developed most of her own film. In October of 1940, their eldest daughter, Edna, died. Edna's husband, Gordon Topham, a naval officier, was serving on the HMCS Prince Rupert and so Irene and Jay raised their infant grandson, Garry James (1939- ) for the next several years. In October of 1946, Mr. Michie retired as the Provincial Liquor Vendor and a month later died suddenly at seventy-three years of age. Mrs. Michie continued to live in the family home in Mission City until her death in 1963.

St. Michael's Children's Centre

  • 0030
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-1987

Patricia Mantle (1911-1998), former primary school teacher, started St. Michael’s Children’s Centre in 1957 after gathering a group of children together to serve as companions for a friend’s son she was providing respite care for a couple of days a week. After outgrowing her living-room, in 1960 she leased a building to operate the pre-school on land owned by the District of Mission located on Ruskin Crescent. For the next three decades, she both managed and taught at the pre-school five days a week, offering an educational program for three to five year olds designed to help their emotional, social and personal growth and development. Attended by multiple generations of local families, the school was phased out in 1987 following a building inspection in 1986 deeming the structure unsafe for occupation and a recommendation for its demolition. It was believed to be the oldest pre-school in the Fraser Valley.

Stave Falls Elementary

  • 0253
  • Corporate body
  • 1994-2008, 2019-

A Stave River School District was established in 1884 under the 1906 Public School Act and subsequently Stave Falls and Stave Gardens School were built. In 1962, a new school was opened on Bell Road from which its name was derived. In 1992, the school was among the last of the “country schools” to purchase its first computer. Due to population growth in the area a new school was constructed on another site, and in 1994 Stave Falls Elementary opened, replacing the one on Bell Road. In the new millennium, students participated in Choirfest to raise money for books and computers for their school and also had the opportunity to place a number of items that represented the year 2000 into a time capsule at the new BC Hydro Stave Falls Powerhouse. Students at Stave Falls worked hard and collectively participating in an annual Writers’ Fair and ‘Athletes in Action’. Stave Falls Elementary closed their doors in 2008, and then reopened in 2019 and is now part of the Mission School District #75.

Taulbut, Anthony S.

  • 0001
  • Person
  • 1875-1949

Anthony Samuel Taulbut was a native of Fareham, Hampshire England who settled in Mission with his wife Rozina and two children, Walter and Amy in 1908. He established a real estate and insurance business and soon became actively involved in the community, serving as the municipal and school district assessor (1917-1939), School Board secretary (1920-1946), and Mission correspondent to the Vancouver Province (1922-1949).

An avid collector with a keen interest in history, Anthony established a museum and archives in part of his house, serving as Mission’s first de facto curator and archivist. As his enthusiasm spread throughout the community, many people from the area contributed local artifacts and archival items to his collection. In later years, began work on a history of Mission, which was never completed due to his untimely death on August 16th, 1949.

Valley Christian School

  • 0240
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Valley Christian School’s first campus in Mission opened in September 2006, and the present building was opened in May 2014. The Kindergarten to Grade Twelve school’s purpose is “To Train in Righteousness, To Instruct with Excellence, and To Equip to Serve Christ”. The school originated in Matsqui in 1983, with campuses in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, and White Rock opening over the subsequent years. Valley Christian School operates under a Board of Directors made up of ten members. The school strives for a cohesive relationship between the home, the church, and the school, and offers Home Schooling options.

Vogel, Harry

  • 0206
  • Person

Harry Vogel is a retired engineer in Mission, B.C., interested in local history. He was a member of the Construction Committee for the Rites of Passage Exhibition, which portrayed the history of Japanese Canadians in the Mission area.

West Heights Elementary

  • 0251
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

Part of the Mission School District #75, West Heights Elementary was first established 1958 and works to encourage students to develop the knowledge, skills, and attributes of a lifelong learner and strive for personal excellence within a respectful, tolerant environment. Although West Heights Elementary teaches students from Kindergarten to Grade six, Strong Start is also offered at the school – a program for preschool aged children and their parents that prepares the children for kindergarten and supports family literacy.

Whonnock Community Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

The Whonnock Memorial Hall Society was incorporated on December 15, 1975. On December 1, 1981, the name of the society was changed by special resolution to Whonnock Community Association (WCA). The Association carried out a historical project in 1985, prompted by the 1980 celebration of the 90th anniversary of the Whonnock school, an occasion which brought many former residents of Whonnock together. The intention of the WCA was to produce a booklet on the history of the Whonnock community with an emphasis on the establishment of postal service in the area. Funding for two summer student research positions was provided by Challenge '85, British Columbia/Canada Summer Employment Program. The target date for the booklet was the 100th anniversary celebration in 1990. Although the manuscript was not completed nor the book published, the research data and materials were saved and preserved by the WCA.

Windebank Elementary

  • 0252
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Part of Mission School District #75, Windebank Elementary was first established in 1967 to relieve the strain on Mission Central School, and was originally known as East Mission Elementary. The building that currently houses Windebank Elementary opened in 1995. The school’s mission statement is to create a positive learning environment which will inspire everyone to believe in their ability to develop a healthy lifestyle and pursue their goal of a successful rewarding future. The school offers an Intensive Core French program, which provides a period of intensive exposure to French in the students’ Grade six year.

Results 91 to 106 of 106