- Corporate body
Part of Mission School District #75, the present day building of Deroche Elementary was constructed in 1995. However, the school was originally known as North Nicomen School and was opened in 1893 as a one-room schoolhouse, before crowded conditions led to the construction of a new building in 1916. Deroche Elementary strives to provide a safe and healthy environment where its Kindergarten to Grade six students are encouraged to believe in their abilities to learn so that they will become responsible, lifelong learners and develop the skills and attitudes needed to meet personal goals for a successful future. Approximately 80 percent of students are of Indigenous Heritage. Deroche Elementary offers Indigenous Cultural Programs which provides opportunities for students to participate in activities such as weaving and Metis jigging, and all students are given the opportunity to learn Halq’emeylem.