Showing 106 results

Authority record

Riverside College

  • 0255
  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

-Opened in 2001 by Mission School District 75 through core funding from the BC Ministry of Education, Riverside College was originally known as Riverside Trades, Training and Career Centre (abbreviated Riverside Centre).

-The school was the first in the province to offer a combination of a pre-trades training program and a high school graduation program, enabling students to complete their high school education while preparing for an apprenticeship in a trade or a career training program.

-In 2010, the school moved from its initial location on the Lougheed Highway to a newly renovated purpose built facility capable of accommodating 350 students situated on the corner of Stave Lake Street and Dewdney Trunk Road.

-The school’s programs include training for auto service technician, carpentry, plumbing, cosmetology hairstylist, professional cook, community support worker and business support specialist.

Cherry Hill Elementary

  • 0235
  • Corporate body
  • 1977-

Part of Mission School District #75, Cherry Hill Elementary School opened in September 1977. The school expects its Kindergarten to Grade six students to be cooperative, responsible, and to always do the best they can, and to respect the rights of others. The school offers programs to enhance students’ learning and school experience such as Accelerated Reader, Learning Assistance, Ready-Set-Learn, and Peer Counseling. The school operates within the Mission Public School District. Cherry Hill Elementary has a diverse student population with a proud tradition of strong academics balanced with successful athletics and exposure to fine arts.

Albert McMahon Elementary

  • 0233
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-

Part of Mission School District #75, Albert McMahon Elementary School was officially opened on November 27, 1989. The school prides itself on its inclusive school culture, and has programs in place to meet the needs of all students. These programs include S.H.A.R.P (Safe, Helpful, Accountable and Respectful, and Positive), a behaviour support program, and SWAT (Students with an Aptitude for Teaching) where grade five and six students spend 15 minutes per day with their little reading buddies. Albert McMahon offers classes for Kindergarten to Grade six. The school offers a variety of extracurricular sports throughout the year, and conducts student vs. teacher matches in volleyball and basketball as a way to enhance the relationship between students and staff and help promote school spirit.

Dewdney Elementary

  • 0239
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Part of Mission School District #75, Dewdney Elementary School’s current building was constructed in 1924, and enrolled students from Kindergarten to Grade twelve until 1948 when it officially became an elementary school. The school was originally known as Burton’s Prairie School, constructed in April 1882, with only one small classroom. In 1911 the school was rebuilt and renamed Dewdney School.
The school employs seven student-centered teachers who involve themselves in promoting high academic achievement and global citizenship. The approximately 75 students engage in CORE, Community Outdoor Recreation & Environment Education, which motivates the students to engage in their natural surroundings, local agricultural community, and broader ecological world through adventure and discovery-based curriculum.

Deroche Elementary

  • 0237
  • Corporate body
  • 1995-

Part of Mission School District #75, the present day building of Deroche Elementary was constructed in 1995. However, the school was originally known as North Nicomen School and was opened in 1893 as a one-room schoolhouse, before crowded conditions led to the construction of a new building in 1916. Deroche Elementary strives to provide a safe and healthy environment where its Kindergarten to Grade six students are encouraged to believe in their abilities to learn so that they will become responsible, lifelong learners and develop the skills and attitudes needed to meet personal goals for a successful future. Approximately 80 percent of students are of Indigenous Heritage. Deroche Elementary offers Indigenous Cultural Programs which provides opportunities for students to participate in activities such as weaving and Metis jigging, and all students are given the opportunity to learn Halq’emeylem.

Durieu Elementary

  • 0232
  • Corporate body
  • 1982-2011

Part of Mission School District #75, Durieu Elementary School was opened in 1982, and was built to replace the aging McConnell Creek and Hatzic Elementary Schools. Durieu Elementary switched to a traditional model in 2005 in an effort to increase enrollment. The school encouraged students to succeed to the best of their abilities in a safe and respectful learning environment. The traditional model at Durieu Elementary maintained a strict dress code and homework policy, along with competition through academic, effort and citizenship awards, and clearly defined standards of behaviour. The school was closed in 2011, with the student population merging with Hatzic Elementary.

Ecole Christine Morrison Elementary

  • 0236
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

Part of Mission School District #75, École Christine Morrison Elementary School was established in 1992. The school identifies as a community of learners who work together to develop knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for students’ success in life. As a dual track school, École Christine Morrison Elementary offers both early French Immersion and regular English programs for its Kindergarten to Grade 6 students. Run by the Mission Public School District. The school uses the STAR (Safe, Trustworthy, Accountable, Respectful) matrix as a means to teach students appropriate behaviour. École Christine Morrison Elementary has a Student Leadership Program for its senior students as a way to learn responsibility and commitment, and as an opportunity to provide service to others.

Ecole de Deux-Rives

  • 0238
  • Corporate body
  • 1998-

Part of Mission School District #75, École des Deux-Rives was established in 1998. The building was Windebank’s first home before moving to its current location up the street. Respecting diversity, Deux-Rives promotes the development of independence, responsibility, competence and pride for French language and culture in its Kindergarten to Grade eight students. BRAVO (Bien- être, Respect, Autonomie, Vivre en français, Ouverture sur le monde) highlights the values of the school community, creating an “environment that contributes to the full development, and cultural identity of Francophone students.” École des Deux-Rives is operated under Conseil scolair francophone (French school board).

Edwin S. Richards

  • 0241
  • Corporate body
  • 1951-

Part of Mission School District #75, Edwin S. Richards Elementary School was opened in September 1951. The school’s current vision statement is to move its students to a place where creativity, collaboration, leadership, and thinking skills go hand in hand to provide active, positive, and effective learning experiences. In 2013, Edwin S. Richards was declared an arts based curriculum school of choice by Mission Public Schools’ Board of Education. The arts are integrated purposefully into the curriculum so students are able to demonstrate understanding and represent their learning in a variety of forms.

Ferndale Elementary

  • 0242
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-2008

Part of Mission School District #75, Established in 1893, Ferndale was originally a one room schoolhouse. As the population grew the school was closed and relocated twice. The present school was built in 1968 and while the school closed briefly in 1985, it was re-opened due to community protest. Closing its doors in 2008, Ferndale hosted a celebration, remembering the many generations of families that attended the school. Ferndale believed that all students have the ability to learn, each is unique and has their own strengths, have different ways to learn at varying rates, and need to strive to reach their personal best. The school was a loved place with an atmosphere that ensured a quality education and wholesome social upbringing of the students.

Hatzic Elementary

  • 0244
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Part of Mission School District #75, Hatzic Elementary School was originally opened in 1911 as a two room school. Improvements were made to the building in the 1950s, with another expansion being done in 1978. The school provides opportunities for self-directed learning, for remedial education, for co-curricular and for extracurricular activities. The Kindergarten to Grade six students at Hatzic Elementary acquire knowledge and skills of value, and are taught to be good citizens. The school offers programs to improve students’ health, such as DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) and Peer Counsellors, and offer an extensive amount of sports teams, ranging from basketball to volleyball to touch football.

Riverside College

  • 0255
  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

Opened in 2001 by Mission School District #75 through core funding from the BC Ministry of Education, Riverside College was originally known as Riverside Trades, Training and Career Centre (abbreviated Riverside Centre). The school was the first in the province to offer a combination of a pre-trades training program and a high school graduation program, enabling students to complete their high school education while preparing for an apprenticeship in a trade or a career training program. In 2010, the school moved from its initial location on the Lougheed Highway to a newly renovated purpose built facility capable of accommodating 350 students situated on the corner of Stave Lake Street and Dewdney Trunk Road. The school’s programs include training for automotive service technician, carpentry, plumbing, cosmetology, hairstylist, professional cook, community support worker/education assistant and business support specialist.

Silverdale Elementary

  • 0250
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

Part of MIssion School District #75, Silverdale Elementary School was officially opened in 1892 on the corner of Cooper and Silverdale roads. The school was rebuilt twice before closing in 1959, which is the same year the present building was constructed. Its five teachers aim to improve the literacy and numeracy to students from Kindergarten to Grade six, and aid them in acquiring the skills needed to become socially responsible citizens. The Grade six students at Silverdale Elementary are responsible for the recycling at the school. Silverdale Elementary is central to the community; it utilizes the community fields, is located near Silverdale Hall, and is currently educating the third generation of students of some families.

Stave Falls Elementary

  • 0253
  • Corporate body
  • 1994-2008, 2019-

A Stave River School District was established in 1884 under the 1906 Public School Act and subsequently Stave Falls and Stave Gardens School were built. In 1962, a new school was opened on Bell Road from which its name was derived. In 1992, the school was among the last of the “country schools” to purchase its first computer. Due to population growth in the area a new school was constructed on another site, and in 1994 Stave Falls Elementary opened, replacing the one on Bell Road. In the new millennium, students participated in Choirfest to raise money for books and computers for their school and also had the opportunity to place a number of items that represented the year 2000 into a time capsule at the new BC Hydro Stave Falls Powerhouse. Students at Stave Falls worked hard and collectively participating in an annual Writers’ Fair and ‘Athletes in Action’. Stave Falls Elementary closed their doors in 2008, and then reopened in 2019 and is now part of the Mission School District #75.

Valley Christian School

  • 0240
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Valley Christian School’s first campus in Mission opened in September 2006, and the present building was opened in May 2014. The Kindergarten to Grade Twelve school’s purpose is “To Train in Righteousness, To Instruct with Excellence, and To Equip to Serve Christ”. The school originated in Matsqui in 1983, with campuses in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, and White Rock opening over the subsequent years. Valley Christian School operates under a Board of Directors made up of ten members. The school strives for a cohesive relationship between the home, the church, and the school, and offers Home Schooling options.

Windebank Elementary

  • 0252
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Part of Mission School District #75, Windebank Elementary was first established in 1967 to relieve the strain on Mission Central School, and was originally known as East Mission Elementary. The building that currently houses Windebank Elementary opened in 1995. The school’s mission statement is to create a positive learning environment which will inspire everyone to believe in their ability to develop a healthy lifestyle and pursue their goal of a successful rewarding future. The school offers an Intensive Core French program, which provides a period of intensive exposure to French in the students’ Grade six year.

West Heights Elementary

  • 0251
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

Part of the Mission School District #75, West Heights Elementary was first established 1958 and works to encourage students to develop the knowledge, skills, and attributes of a lifelong learner and strive for personal excellence within a respectful, tolerant environment. Although West Heights Elementary teaches students from Kindergarten to Grade six, Strong Start is also offered at the school – a program for preschool aged children and their parents that prepares the children for kindergarten and supports family literacy.

Cedar Valley School

  • 0234
  • Corporate body
  • 1923-1989

Part of Mission School District #75, Cedar Valley Elementary School was opened in 1923 in one of Ferndale Elementary’s previous buildings located on the corner of Cedar St. and Dewdney Trunk Rd. Cedar Valley Elementary School was closed in 1989, and the students and teachers moved to their new location at Albert McMahon. Cedar Valley School then became an alternative school. The school offered an Ecological Studies Program which focused around the environment and developed a partnership with the community, businesses, and government agencies. Students in this alternative program worked on the Silverdale Creek Estuary wetlands, and built a one kilometre trail and large concrete salmon sculpture there. This program also caught its members up on academics they missed out on. Cedar Valley School was closed following the conclusion of the 2006/2007 school year.

Fraserview Elementary

  • 0243
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-2008

Part of Mission School District #75, Fraserview Elementary School opened temporarily in 1978, but was officially opened in March 1980. The mission of the school was to develop confident, responsible, literate students that possess a love of learning and skills necessary for a changing society. Although Fraserview Elementary was closed in 2008, the building is now used for Fraserview Learning Centre – an alternative secondary school with students from Grade seven to twelve.

Ecole Mission Central Elementary

  • 0248
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Part of Mission School District #75, École Mission Central Elementary’s present day building was opened in 1990. The original Mission Central School was built in sections between 1911 and 1913, and housed both primary and secondary students – this school was Mission’s first High School. Due to the construction of the Junior-Senior High School in 1952, Mission Central became an elementary school the same year and served as such until it was demolished in 1989. École Mission Central Elementary is dual track offering both an English program and French Immersion for its Kindergarten to Grade six students. The school has goals in literacy, numeracy, and social responsibility, and offers programs to achieve these goals such as Peer Counseling.

Heritage Park Secondary

  • 0246
  • Corporate body
  • 1996-

Part of the Mission School District #75, Heritage Park Secondary opened in 1996 and its primary focus was individualized and personalized learning. It had specialized programs including video production, musical theatre and stagecraft, along with programs for students with disabilities and a fitness and exercise management program. Students with disabilities will be helped through a training program for aides.

-It became École Heritage Park Middle School in 2017

-SEE École Heritage Park Middle School for dates (2017-)

Hatzic Secondary

  • 0245
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-2016

Was originally established as a Junior Secondary School in 1972, and then as a Secondary School in 1988. Hatzic Secondary emphasized "high student achievement" and had specialized programs in electronics and technical training as well as a two-year integrated Humanities program and peer counseling.

-Hatzic Secondary became a Middle School in September 2017 for students in Grade 7 to 9.

-SEE Hatzic Middle School for years (2017-)

Ecole Heritage Park Middle School

  • 0326
  • Corporate body
  • 2017-

The building that houses École Heritage Park Middle School was officially opened in October 1996, and operated as Heritage Park Secondary School until 2017 when it became a middle school. The school is operated under the Mission School District #75. The mission of École Heritage Park Middle School is to empower all learners to strive for success, and the school envisions an environment where everyone feels safe, included and valued as partners, where all learners are engaged, empowered and motivated, and where accomplishments are celebrated. École Heritage Park Middle School shares its location with the Clarke Theatre and a University of the Fraser Valley campus. The fine arts program uses the Clarke Theatre to showcase music, drama, and dance programs.

Hatzic Middle School

  • 0325
  • Corporate body
  • 2017-

The Building that houses Hatzic Middle School was established as a Junior Secondary School in 1972, and then as a Secondary School in 1988. Hatzic became a Middle School in 2017 for students in Grade seven to nine. part of Mission School District #75, Hatzic Middle School is a comprehensive school offering strong programs in academics, applied skills, fine and performing arts and athletics. Hatzic Middle School offers a Hockey Academy to its students, which is structured and dedicated not only to training and developing players to reach the next level in the sport, but also to support the academic and citizenship potential of every athlete.

Hills, Doris

  • 0015
  • Person
  • 1926-

Doris Hills (nee Grinsted) was born in England and moved to Cedar Valley near Mission, B.C., in 1929. Hills worked for the Chilliwack Progress newspaper, taking leave during World War II to serve in the Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division.

Ogle, Doris E.

  • 0344
  • Person
  • 1906-

Doris Ogle was born in Port Hammond and moved to Mission in 1920. She worked as a nurse at Mission Memorial Hospital until 1934, when she married Sydney Salsberry, who was later killed in action in World War II. She married Phillip Swift in 1950 and since that time has lived in Abbotsford. She was active in a number of community women's groups.

Vogel, Harry

  • 0206
  • Person

Harry Vogel is a retired engineer in Mission, B.C., interested in local history. He was a member of the Construction Committee for the Rites of Passage Exhibition, which portrayed the history of Japanese Canadians in the Mission area.

Mission and District Garden Club

  • 0130
  • Corporate body

The Mission and District Garden Club was established in 1965 to provide education in horticulture and to exhibit garden produce.

Nicomen Island Women's Institute

  • 0174
  • Corporate body
  • 1947-

Nicomen Island Women's Institute was established in 1947 and served Nicomen Island in the Fraser River east of Mission.

Results 1 to 30 of 106