- 1920- (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
In 1920, a group of women banded together and formed the “Memorial Hospital Auxiliary” to support, enhance and promote health care in our community through volunteering and fundraising.
Through their efforts and innovative services and programs, the Auxiliary has played an integral role in the establishment, construction, and furnishing of Mission’s hospitals (est. 1920, 1925, and 1965).
Among their most outstanding fundraising efforts were “May Days” which they inaugurated in 1921 to provide revenue for the hospital and which went on to become a Mission institution.
Over the decades, the Auxiliary has also developed programs and services for patients, staff and the community, including: a hospital gift shop, a thrift store, ambulatory day care, and assisting long term care facilities.